Varieties of hosting services
A hosting service applies to stashing and/or sharing particular content on a server administered by a hosting company. There are different classes of hosting services utilized for various aims, so let's survey these. In this way, you can conclude what you need, on the basis of whether you wish to set up a blog, email accounts, or to share files with friends and partners.
- File hosting: a service made available by various hosts, which permits you to share big files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only designation is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free file storage plans are often supported by exhibiting advertisements beside the download links, while a timer compels you to await a particular stretch of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file storage account, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limit when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a totally awry interpretation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would allot the workload between autonomous packs of web servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending different web space hosting services (email, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, web page hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a brand of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; given providers provide a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting kind is appropriate if you would like to share a huge number of images with friends or associates since the solution is usually free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for each and every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service dedicated to handling your email address accounts. Some companies offer site hosting solutions for web pages, but do not supply an e-mail hosting solution. If you wish to open a mail address with your domain name but do not desire to possess a website, then the email hosting solution is what you require. You can create email mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video file in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video file generates a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of video files and a few hundred web page visitors, you may have trouble with your web site hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will allow you to manage as many videos as you want to without bothering about system resources.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you need if you would like to keep a web site. To some extent, it includes all of the aforementioned hosting variants since, along with your sites, you can also host pics and files, you can set up databases and email address accounts, upload video clips, etc. At sotek, for example, you can see web hosting and dedicated server hosting accounts that permit you to have all of the abovementioned services in one single place. There may be limits depending on the sort of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your webspace hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the normal e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are planned for specific content exclusively.